Back in March 2009, we reviewed how to measure the click-through rate (CTR) of your e-mail permission marketing campaign with Google Analytics, so I believe it would be very useful to now provide you a benchmark to compare your collected CTRs. For Internet startups, these will be critical benchmarks.
Earlier this July 2009, eMarketer just released a list of e-mail marketing open rates worldwide, by industry and list size for the second half of 2008.
But before I show you these e-mail marketing open rates, let’s review some e-mail permission marketing fundamentals that you must gather:
- Number of e-mails sent
- Number of opened e-mails
- Number of bounced e-mails
- Number of unsubscriptions ( You MUST provide this option! Remember that we are doing e-mail permission marketing. No permission = no e-mail.)
With these metrics you will determine:
- Delivery rate = (number of e-mails sent – number of e-mails bounced) / number of e-mails sent
- Unsubscribe rate = number of unsubscriptions / number of e-mails delivered
- Open rate = number of opened e-mails / number of emails delivered
- Click-through rate (CTR) = number of clicks / number of e-mails opened
Once you have your open rate and CTR, now you can compare them to these benchmarks provided by eMarketer: